The top ten braai recipe finalists in the Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience, in association with the Gautrain Management Agency have been announced. This is the third year that the Gautrain Management Agency has partnered with the Sunday Times Goodlife brand to present an event that ties into the lifestyle benefits that the Gautrain provides local and international commuters in Gauteng…a safe, fast journey that allows them to enjoy more of their day.
Previous Gautrain partnerships with Sunday Times Goodlife include the Healthy Recipe (2017), and Dessert Recipe (2018) contests. This year, the competition tests the culinary skills of amateur cooks in preparing a delicious braai dish that can be cooked and served in under 60 minutes.
Dr Barbara Jensen, Gautrain Management Agency Senior Executive Manager for Communication and Marketing says, "Last year the campaign was well received, and we are excited to be part of the Sunday Times Goodlife Taste Experience again this year. As a public transport mode, the Gautrain strives to provide a service that is quick ,safe and reliable that provide our passengers with an opportunity to focus on other leisure activities that foster a healthier lifestyle as Sunday Times Goodlife represents."
This year’s ten finalists will participate in a cook-off at the Capsicum Culinary School in Rosebank on 29 March 2019, for the chance to win a first place cash prize of R8,000. Second and third place cash prizes are R5,000 and R3,000 respectively. The Ultimate Braai Master, Justin Bonello, will be presenting a masterclass during the 60-minute cook-off.
Bonello will also join the adjudication panel of Hilary Biller (Sunday Times Food Editor), Dr Barbara Jensen (Senior Executive Manager, Communication & Marketing, Gautrain Management Agency), and Willem Boonzaier (2018 winner of the Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience) in deciding this year’s champion.
The 2019 Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience finalists (and their braai dishes) are:
• Philip van Rensburg - Mediterranean lamb with idombolo and veggies – from Johannesburg
• Zenda Liebenberg - SA Railway pap pie – from Durban
• Bruce Retief - Pig on a train with braai bread – from Hermanus
• Stef Conradie - Choekapaka chakalaka chicken livers – from Port Elizabeth
• Gresham Madhan - Off the rails braai’d snoek – from Durban
• Anam Xinwa - The ChooChoo Pork – from East London
• Phetolo Maepa - Shosholoza ka Steak – from Johannesburg
• Thando - Trick track braai’d fish – from Johannesburg
• Boitumelo Theo Tseleng - The traditional braai chicken, pap and chakalaka – from Johannesburg
• Illona Greef - Turtles on the Fast Track – from Johannesburg