The annual Financial Mail Top Analyst Awards winners were announced at an event hosted at The Empire Venue in Parktown last night. The Financial Mail Top Analyst Awards, in association with IRESS, recognise South Africa’s top analysts in the institutional stock broking industry.
Standard Bank SBG Securities continued for a third year running to be awarded as the Overall Top firm. Similarly, Peregrine Securities maintained its position as the Top firm – Execution: Derivatives. Nedgroup Securities was awarded as the Top firm – Execution: Fixed Interest Securities; and RMB Morgan Stanley as the Top firm – Execution: Equities Dealing. RMB Morgan Stanley was also awarded in the Corporate Access, Administration, and Sales Team categories.
The results are based on a survey of institutional investors by Intellidex. The survey is estimated to cover 90% of the institutional market through confidential questionnaires completed by domestic institutional clients of South African stockbroker firms.
Rob Rose, the editor of the Financial Mail, said “these awards are, we believe, critical to ensuring transparency and efficiency in the financial markets. We're immensely grateful to those who contributed to the research, who realise that these awards go far beyond simply individual firms, but are also fundamental to improving the public's understanding of what takes place in our market."
The Financial Mail has been associated with this survey since 1975 - the only ranking in South Africa that provides a reliable and independent ranking of the skills in the industry.
Warwick Bam of Avior Capital Markets was awarded as Young Analyst of the Year in the equities category, while Emlyn Flint of Peregrine Securities won again in the non-equities category.
A special report on the 2018 research findings will be published in the Financial Mail on Thursday, 31 May 2018.
Herewith the list of categories and winners of the 2018 Financial Mail Top Analysts Awards:
- Young Analyst of the year : Equities - Warwick Bam, Avior Capital Markets
- Young Analyst of the year : Non-equities - Emlyn Flint, Peregrine Securities
- Gold Mining - Adrian Hammond, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Platinum & Precious Metals - Johann Steyn, Citigroup Global Markets
- General Mining - Johann Pretorius, Renaissance Capital
- Oil & Gas and Chemicals - Gerhard Engelbrecht, Macquarie
- Forestry & Paper - Brian Morgan, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Industrial Metals - Brian Morgan, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Resources Small & Medium Market Cap Companies - Tim Clark, Adrian Hammond, Thabang Thlaku & Leroy Mnguni, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Construction, Building Materials & Machinery - Rowan Goeller, Macquarie
- Banks - Stephan Potgieter, UBS SA
- General Financia - Harry Botha & David Talpert, Avior Capital Markets
- Insurance - Michael Christelis, UBS SA
- Beverages & Tobacco - Rey Wium, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Food Producers - Vikhyat Sharma, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Healthcare Providers & Pharmaceuticals - Alex Comer & Ross Krige, JP Morgan
- Luxury Goods - Rey Wium, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- General Retailers - Sean Holmes, Deutsche Securities
- Household Goods Retailers - Michael Jacks & Sa'ad Chothia, Arqaam Capital
- Hotels, Travel & Leisure - Janine van Wyk & DeWet Schutte, Avior Capital Markets
- Diversified Industrials - Rowan Goeller, Macquarie
- Investment Companies - Rey Wium, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Computing & Electronics - Muneer Ahmed, Prescient Securities
- Media - David Ferguson, Renaissance Capital
- Telecommunications - Jonathan Kennedy-Good, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Financial and industrial small & medium market cap companies - DeWet Schutte, Mpho Mokotso & Roelof Brand, Avior Capital Markets
- Real Estate - Nazeem Samsodien & Mahir Hamdulay, Macquarie
- Africa Ex-SA equities - EFG Hermes Research Team, EFG Hermes
- Africa Ex-SA non-equities - Yvonne Mhango, Renaissance Capital
- Commodities - Tom Price, Susan Bates, Christopher Nicholson, Brian Morgan & Menno Sanderse, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Environmental, social and corporate governance - David Levinson, Mark Hodgson & Team, Avior Capital Markets
- Credit Analysis - Kate Rushton, Absa Capital
- Derivatives - Petrus Bosman, Shivaan Gurayah & Mark Sarembock, Avior Capital Markets
- Fixed-Interest Securities - Walter de Wet, Nedgroup Securities, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Innovative research - UBS Evidence Lab, UBS SA
- Economic Analysis (domestic) - Elna Moolman, Macquarie
- Economic Analysis (international) - Mary Curtis, Ian Doyle, Jonathan Garner & Andrea Masia, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Investment Strategy - Mary Curtis, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Political Analysis - Simon Freemantle, Standard Bank/SBG Securities
- Quantitative Analysis - Josiah Rudolph & Gurvinder Brar, Macquarie
- Risk Management - Odwa Sihlobo, Gideon van der Linde & Daniel Polakow, Prescient Securities
- Technical Analysis - Neels Heyneke, Nedgroup Securities
- Top firms : Administration Efficiency, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Top firms: Corporate Access, RMB Morgan Stanley
- Top firms : Execution: Derivatives - Peregrine Securities
- Top firms : Execution:Equities - RMB Morgan Stanley
- Top firms : Execution:Fixed Interest Securities - Nedgroup Securities
- Top Sales Teams - RMB Morgan Stanley
- Overall Firm - Standard Bank /SBG Securities