CBC Amber Weiss was officially announced as South Africa’s Most Loved Beer at the Sunday Times Lifestyle Beer Awards in partnership with Makro on 2 August 2019, at an event in Johannesburg to celebrate the creators and retailers of local and internationally crafted beers.
In June, ten beers were shortlisted from 81 entries across five categories by a panel of judges with a formal background in the industry, including Greg Gilowey and Karl Tessendorf from Beer Country, as well as Fanent Zimba, GM of Beer House. The ten beers were showcased for consumer tasting at Makro outlets across the country on 13 July, where shoppers could vote for their favourite.
The winners in the inaugural Sunday Times Lifestyle Beer Awards are:
- South Africa’s Most Loved Lager - Darling Brew Slow Beer
- South Africa’s Most Loved Ale - CBC Amber Weiss
- South Africa’s Most Loved India Pale Ale - Jack Black Skeleton Coast
- South Africa’s Most Loved Low Alcohol Beer - Windhoek Light
- South Africa’s Most Loved Specialty Beer - Hoegaarden