Terms and Conditions
- This competition is organised by the Tiso Blackstar Group and Makro (Masstores (Pty) Limited, trading as Makro SA (registration number: 1991/006805/07) ( hereinafter referred to as the “Organisers”)
- This competition is open only to local and international Gin brands and distilleries and participants must be aged 18 years or over. Proof of age, identity and eligibility will be requested.
- There will only be two (2) categories of Gin in the competition namely Local and International
- All entries must be received by 30 September 2019. The Organisers may, by notice, extend this closing date.
- Entry is free and no purchase is necessary.
- Late, illegible or incomplete entries will not be accepted. The Organisers accept no responsibility for participants failing to connect to the provided e-mail address or for late or lost entries due to any problem, technical or otherwise. Proof of transmission is not proof of receipt.
- Contestants will be chosen based on their product by the Organisers guest judges in accordance with the criteria set out in our communication. The judges’ decisions will be final. In the event of a dispute, the decision of the competition judges is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prize impossible due to reasons beyond the Organisers reasonable control. Accordingly, the Organisers may, at their discretion, vary or amend the competition. Entrants agree that the Organisers cannot be held liable for such changes.
- By entering the competition, all entrants agree to participate in publicity via images or video recordings if required and to the publication of their names and images on the Organisers websites and in any other media and promotional materials.
- By entering the competition, all entrants also give the Organisers the right to publish their details, images and video recordings online and in print in perpetuity.
- Eligible entrants cannot be a director, member, partner, employee, agent or consultant to the Organisers, or any marketing service provider in respect of the promotional competition or any other person who directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by the promoter/s or suppliers of goods or services in connection with this competition, or the spouse, life partner, parent, child, brother, sister, business partner or associate of such a person;
- The final awards ceremony will take place on 8 November 2019
- Selected contestants will need to arrange and pay for their own travel, accommodation and flights to Cape Town.
- The Prizes are:
First Place Prize in each category:
- A winner’s trophy
- R250 000 worth of ad space (Sunday Times/ST Lifestyle/Sowetan)
- Print and Online Makro catalogue
- The basic definition of Gin is a clear alcoholic spirit distilled or redistilled from neutral spirits and flavoured with juniper berries. The most important thing is that the predominant flavour must be juniper or the Gin entered should contain Juniper.
- In South Africa, Gin must be bottled at a minimum of 43% Alcohol by volume (ABV).
- The judging process will be as follows:
- The gins will be tasted blindly to determine their quality.
- Where appropriate, they will be assessed by type, style and country.
- Judges will be given a briefing document setting out the gin’s price and target consumer. Only then, will judges be asked to give their score for quality based on the initial blind tasting.
- The judges will then be handed the bottle or format for them to be able to assess, in detail, the design, label, and packaging and determine how well that matches up to, or complements the quality of the gin and its price point.
- The judges will then discuss the spirit as a whole to help allocate scores in the three judging areas.
Do you accept the above T’s and C’s?